War of 1812 Commemoration
Saturday, August 24, 2013
9:30am – 4:30pm
Old Salem Historic District
Round out Old Salem’s All-American Summer with an event commemorating the War of 1812, and the August, 1812 observance of President Madison’s Day of Prayer by the Moravians, Old Salem will have a day of special activities. Throughout the day, historic buildings will be filled with activities and demonstrations to entertain the entire family!
– Learn about the use of the fife in army field music, and join the fifer for a parade in the afternoon.
– Make your own musket cartridge (filled with birdseed)
– Learn the history of our National Anthem, “The Star Spangled Banner”
– Join the Regency Assembly of North Carolina and Friends to learn early 19th century dances
– View excerpts from the series “1812” to learn the role of African Americans in the war.
Activities included with an All-In-One ticket. Purchase a ticket online or at the Visitors Center (900 Old Salem Road).
Friends of Old Salem enjoy free admission.